Saturday, April 14, 2012

The night I ate frogs' legs

I made a promise to myself that by the end of this year in France I would try frogs' legs and on Tuesday, the 10th, I finally accomplished that gastronomic goal.  As time here is quickly coming to an end, my group of friends, and fellow assistants, decided we needed to plan a goodbye dinner.  Le Clos des Capucines, a restaurant in the city center, has a nice menu serving Burgundy's specialties so we all agreed this would be a great place for our special meal.


The dinner started with an aperitif: Kir- the drink of Dijon! Then it was on to five courses of amazing food:

Course One: “Amuse-bouche” (a small pre-appetizer)

Jellied salmon

Course Two: Appetizer

Escargots


Course Three: Dinner

Cuisse de grenouille (Frogs' legs!) and yummy sides

Course Four: Cheese

Goat cheese, Epoisses, and a soft cheese

Course Five: Dessert

Vacherin au cassis (sorbet-cake with blackcurrant)

Throughout the dinner red wine and endless slices of baguette were enjoyed to compliment our meals!  To my surprise the escargots were a lot larger than any other time I’ve ordered snails but they were still delicious in their butter-parsely flavoring.  The frog legs tasted similar to chicken- I actually really liked them and would happily order them again.  It was fun to have a cheese course even if I’m not the biggest fan of cheese (unless it’s Camemebert, of course).  Dessert was simply delicious- I will really miss blackcurrant!  I loved how the entire menu consisted of the specialties of Burgundy- it was a nice way to truly enjoy this region.  But what I loved most is that having a five course meal is a rare and special- it’s not something I do very often and so I found it fitting to be sharing such a meal with people who have helped to make this unique experience all the more special.

Word of the Post: Bourgogne -- Burgundy

1 comment:

  1. sorry, but those legs look like legs and not like chicken....you are braver than me!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete