Thursday, October 6, 2011

MacDo Creepin'

MacDo is green and yellow in France

Since I exceeded way past the 3 hours allotted on the 3G internet key that came with my flat I became a frequent user of the free WiFi at McDonald’s.  I’m not going to lie, it’s very strange to sit in a McDonald’s with my laptop without ordering food, but other people are doing it so I suppose I don’t look too out of place!

So due to my various trips to MacDo, I thought it’d be fun to post about McDonald’s in France.  Firstly, did you know that France is the 2nd largest consumer of MacDo (after the U.S., bien sûr)? (Here's a great link about that: TIME world) Yes, ladies and gentlemen, les Français do love the golden arches.

There are some big differences between MacDo en France and aux Etats-Unis:
1) The portion/drink sizes are smaller
2) The French menu offers many different options--too many to list!  Here is the link to the French website: French MacDo menu Check it out! (There are Croque McDos, beer is a beverage option, and so many different desserts! Read the TIME link above for more info!)
3) The colors associated with McDonalds here, and most of Europe, are green and yellow (not red and yellow like in the States)
4) There are screens where you can place and pay for your order without going up to the counter.  You need a European bank card to use this feature, though. (The screens are similar to Wawa for my Mid-Atlantic readers; for my New Englanders I’m afraid we don’t have something comparable.  I did read that these screens should be popping up at Mickey D’s in the States sometime soon)
5) At lunch (12p-2p) and dinner (8-9:30pm) times the lines legitimately go out the door (Maybe it’s due to the lack of drive-thru but still, out the door!!)
6) Most people come with at least one other person and make a real meal out of their MacDo experience.  Many people stay and chat for hours after their meals are finished.  I chalk it up to the café culture!
7) Outside and inside there is a patio section (with little trees , canopies, and café-esque tables) as well as a regular restaurant section in the MacDo by the université.
8) There is a walk-up window especially for to-go orders!  I though that was pretty cool. (They also give you cute bags with handles for to-go orders)
9) When the cashier handed me my meal she said “bon appétit” J

So, aside from using the free wifi, I have done a fair amount of people-watching and have been observing what people order.  The most frequent item….the Big Mac! (I’ve personally never had one but they must be good if the French are eating them!)  Another big hit is the McFlurry.  During my time I had yet to see someone order chicken nuggets so burgers are definitely more popular. One can only sit and take in the smell of the awfully delicious fries without being tempted to order for so long....so, I finally decided to order a Happy Meal. (This is what I would get in the States so I figured it would make for a good comparison in the blog, as well.) My Happy Meal came with a hamburger, deluxe potatoes (similar to potato wedges), a Diet Coke, and a pineapple slice.  You can have fries and fruit with your Happy Meal here….love! Nutritionally there is a difference of 16 calories between a French and American Happy Meal (yes, the French version is healthier) but what I find more interesting is that the food here tastes more fresh than that at home.  (Study abroad girls, are you with me?)  The happy meal was smaller than in the States which I really like because it satisfies the fast food craving one may have but isn't completely awful for you.  Plus, the deluxe potatoes are delicious! (And have less calories than regular fries!)  They also came with an odd cream sauce that tasted a bit like ranch dressing. (I didn't eat it, though.)  Another day I purchased a McFlurry (they have such an array of mix-in options!) but I wanted to try the Magnum McFlurry being offered. (Picture: YUM!) It also was very small in comparison to an American McFlurry but it was perfect for an indulgence on a hot day: very chocolate-y with these delicious chip mix ins!  While I do not plan on making MacDo meals a common part of my life here, in my humble opinion MacDo > Mickey D’s.

Word of the Post: c’est tout ce que j’aime – i’m lovin’ it (Okay, so it’s a technically a phrase but how could I not include that?!)

1 comment:

  1. Dina - I really enjoy reading your blog, you're an exceptional writer who makes me laugh out loud (literally) and cry in the same post!
    I would LOVE it if you'd include a phonetic spelling after your word of the day so I could walk around like a goof saying it to everyone all day!
    Grassy-ass (thant's "thank you" en espanol!)
    ox
    Di

    ReplyDelete