Monday, October 17, 2011

On class observations and not being Spanish

I’ve spent the first few weeks of October observing various English classes with different teachers and grade levels.

It has been really fun getting to know the students asking them questions about life here as well as hearing about how they view the world.  I have come across many NHL and NBA fans, students have recommended that I try frog legs for dinner (they say they are good so maybe I will?!), and I have found out the majority of students do not like Lady Gaga.  While it's been great to go back and forth exchanging questions and answers to get to know each other, one thing I cannot escape from is the “but where are you from?” question even after I say I’m from the States.

When you first see me, my mocha/olive/mediteranean/whatever-cute-way-you-want-to-say-brown complexion is no secret.  Many people are intrigued to know “what I am” and a “fun” little guessing game commences….Spanish? No. Italian? No. Greek? No. Then what?! (As if those are the only 3 options??? Haha)  While this has happened from time to time at home in the States it has been taken to a whole new level here. When I first when to my lycée’s secretary I introduced myself as an English teaching assistant and proceeded to ask about paperwork.  Five minutes later she introduced me to one of her collegues and told them I was the Spanish assistant and so they then asked me what part of Spain I was from.  I looked at the secretary extremely confused and restated that I am an American and speak English. The secretary caught her mistake and replied “Oh yes yes anyway….”  I thought okay, I guess I look kind of like a Spaniard so this isn’t a huge deal….? Well, I’ve been back in her office three times and every time she has referred to me as the Spanish assistant.  It’s comical at this point.  Fast forward to observing English classes... one teacher did not take the time to ask about my background before the class and just assumed I was a member of the Latino American community.  She must have thought it was her lucky day because the class had an oral comprehension piece they needed to listen to and fill out information on….the piece was about Latino American culture!  The students listened, discussed what they could understand and then the teacher turned to me and asked for my opinion on the culture and what my life is like.  I stuttered a bit starting with “Um, well, I’m not Latina but the culture has greatly affected the States.”  (I wasn’t prepared to be the Latina ambassador!) The teacher was taken a back and said “Oh, really?! Then where are you from??”  That is the golden question here....it is not a simple enough answer for me to say I am an American but in every class I have observed I’ve also had to also explain my heritage….and then after that they don’t believe I’m 50% Irish (story of my life!).

All in all it has been nice simply getting to know the layout of the school and see how English classes are conducted here.  I still have yet to get a set “timetable” (British English for schedule) but my contact professor said she should have it done this week.  My contact prof is in charge of all the assistants in the Dijon region and when I told my landlady how I still didn’t have a timetable yet she said there is an expression in French saying something along the lines of “The cobbler’s sons have the worst shoes” so I suppose that is fitting for my lack of a schedule!

This will be my last week observing and then I go on vacation! I have 10 days off from October 22nd to November 2nd for All Saints Day…not a bad deal :) I brought over tons of candy corn so my students can have a little taste of American Halloween before vacation starts….I hope they like it!

Word of the Post: L'Espagne -- Spain (not my homeland haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment