Friday, November 18, 2011

Settled in the City (see what I did there?)

A little less than two months into living in Dijon I am finally starting to feel slightly like a dijonnaise.  So this is the post where I ramble about all the everyday accomplishments that feel so so so much bigger when you are doing them by yourself, in a foreign country, in your second language. (Don’t forget- this is my first time ever living on my own!)

Ok, here we go:

-Apartment
I’ve (slightly) rearranged the flat to my liking, organized all my belongings, know when and where to take my trash out, and so on.  (I’ve even completely (re)adjusted to the European-style shower!)  My flat is really cute and I love my landlady.  She doesn’t treat me as though I am just a source of income and always wants to make sure the flat is okay and that I am okay, too.  We even continue to meet for lunch, coffee, or drinks after work so that is really nice! There was an issue with the kitchen sink and also an electric outlet so I can add successfully dealing with a French electrician as well as a French plumber to my list of “accomplishments”.  I’ve  also successfully paid rent which doesn’t sound like an accomplishment but filling out a French check is different than an American one so I’m counting it!

-Bank account/Card/Checks
I officially have a French bank account.  Of course obtaining all of my banking necessities took about a month due to the lovely thing known as “French administration”.  When people say the French are unorganized that is no exaggeration.  I went to my bank agency to open my new account however they needed my landlady to show her ID as well as proof of her living arrangement so that my contract could be accepted.  (I was getting apartment insurance along with the bank account but either way I’d still need my landlady’s “proof”.)  So it took about a week to get her papers in, then another week for the bank to process that.  Finally, I got my actual card and was all excited to use it but I had to wait another week for two separate letters: one containing my pin and the other containing my access codes for online banking.  After this I had to wait another week to get my checkbook.  Needless to say, it took a while but I finally have a real, French bank account! And it’s SO much easier to use my card than have to keep withdrawing Euro notes from an ATM.  I also feel like a quasi-French person because my card has the cool European chip on it and also says “Mlle” (abbreviation for Mademoiselle) in front of my name.  Win.

-Laundry
As there is no washing machine in my flat I have to walk to a laundromat to do my laundry.  Luckily it is only about a 10 minute walk and not too expensive.  I usually use a big machine which is 4 euros per wash but it fits everything and nothing gets ruined if I use cold water.  The only thing that is frustrating is that the dryers do not work.  I tried...twice with no luck.  And I do not have a dry rack to air dry my clothes yet (a trip to Ikea is in order!) so when I do laundry my flat is overtaken with laundry drying.  At least the flat smells nice and clean each time! (Who doesn't like the smell of fresh laundry?)  I'm a little nervous for walking back with wet laundry during the winter months but I'm sure it will be okay.  Needless to say I will never take having a washing machine in my house or building for granted ever again.

-Intermarché/Carte de fidelité
I applied for and received a carte de fidelité (loyalty card) for my Intermarché super market…so far I’ve rakced up a whopping 3,70 euros!  Only a small amount is added with each transaction but I can use the growing balance as a method of payment whenever I want so whatever- euros are euros! (Maybe when I do some shopping for goodies to bring home for Christmas?!)  I finally know my way around the store and love that I can run in really quickly when I just need a few items and I don’t have to wander around searching for things!  I also feel like a local when the cashier asks for my loyalty card.  AND I’ve mastered the self check out registers….yes, that sounds silly and basic but you try weighing bananas as the directions are quickly spit out in French! (Okay it’s not that hard but it was nerve racking at first!)

-Internet
Oh, the internet debacle.  Those first few weeks of MacDo creepin’ felt like they would never end.  Alas, I solved the internet issue by looking online at offers and tapping into my French resources over here. Luckily, I found a fabulous deal through the Orange company (a monthly contract but open ended: “sans engagement” in French) and I even set the wifi box up on my own, French instructions and all!  It’s funny because in the States I would have thought to ask someone else about setting the box up but here it’s just moi so I’m forced to do things on my own constantly.  As frustrating as it can be it is extremely rewarding.

-The bus
Slowly but surely I’m getting used to the bus and figuring out where I can change lines (even though it’s just much simpler/quicker to wait for my bus line) I feel comfortable on Lianes 1 and 5 but I don’t think I will need to use many others unless I am going outside of the city.  While the bus is never on time and still and overall awkward/unpleasant experience it has it’s good moments, too.  For instance, one day a mother was teaching her young son how to say the French “R” sound (my personal favorite!) and it was so cute to hear him repeat the words like “Pierre, voiture, verre, aire, voir”and so on with such a dramatic emphasis on the “R”s.  So while the Parisian metro will always be superior I am coping with the Divia bus.  (Note the word coping because often I still boycott riding it: if the bus is packed when it arrives at the stop, even if I’ve waited 15 minutes, I generally just walk instead.)

-Cell phone
Getting a cell phone was the on-going issue since arriving in September.  It was such a hassle to find a plan that wasn’t ridiculously expensive and that wasn’t a rechargeable/mobile card option.  If I signed up for a contract (which were only offered for 1 year or 2 years) I could cancel the plan but would still owe the company the remainder of the contract. (Aka if I signed a 1 year contract I’d still owe money for the 6 months remaining…non merci!)  Through spending a lot of time researching I found that the Post Office here has a cell phone company (La Poste mobile) [aside: La Poste also has a bank!] and they offer monthly plans that are “sans engagement” (like my Wifi) which is really great! This is good for me because when I need to cancel my line in May it 1) won’t be difficult to do so and 2) I won’t have to pay the remainder of the plan like the other companies offered. (La Poste offered the best deals price-wise so I’m happy about that, too!)  The paperwork for this was a little ridiculous though: I needed proof of residency but my bank card and check book were not acceptable (even though in order to get a bank card and check book you have to have proof of residency!) so I had to get another form signed by my landlady.  I often feel like I am just going in circles when it comes to paperwork here.  The French admin process has made me a lot more flexible and patient though, so I suppose that is a bonus.

-Health care
I am officially able to receive health care/medical services as I now have a French social security number.  I’ve also signed up for a mutelle so should I ever need medical attention here I will be about 90% covered financially.  I have to say…even without the mutelle French health care is pretty awesome.  The U.S. should work on this.

-OFII apt/visa validation
I am also a legal, official immigrant in France (as of today!) as my immigration medical exam was this morning.  It included and lung x-ray, and an examination form a nurse and doctor.  I passed and my visa was validated….hooray!  It’s such a relief to have that over with!  (I am going to post a separate entry on this appointment so look for that!)  Now that my visa is validated I can finally apply for CAF which is government aide for my housing- the last piece of admin work! I will start that next week.

-Teaching timetable
I received a final copy of my timetable….it changed about six times but I now have a set one!  I work with 4 terminale (17-18 yr olds) students and help them prepare for the major exam at the end of the year called Le Bac. (Similar to the SAT's but much more intense.)  It’s really fun to work with them- they are by far my favorite students.  I’m also excited because I will be working with them until the end of my contract so I can form good relationships with them in the classroom and really find methods that work!  I am going to start reading the novel they must read and present on which is “The Other Side of Truth” by Beverly Naidoo.  (I’ll have to do a little review on it after I finish it!)  For my other classes I work with 9 different alternating  seconde (14-15 year olds) groups and that is always a challenge because the English levels greatly vary so activities have to often be adapted on the spot to accommodate each student.  I usually play games with them reinforcing vocab and grammar since I do not see the same students every week.  Finally, I work with one première class (15-16 year olds) and they understand more than they give themselves credit for!  I am going to make it my goal to increase their speaking confidence!  The difficult thing with classes here is that they are not separated by levels like in the States: for example, Honors, level 1, and level 2 students are all mixed within the same class. While it’s a challenge so far I am enjoying my time in the classroom.

-Teaching perks
I’ve received my classroom and bathroom keys (finally!) so I feel slightly powerful as I walk through the halls with the keys jingling in my coat pocket.  Also, it’s nice to be able to use the teacher’s only bathroom!  I have my photo copy machine code as well as my computer code so now I have full access to all that the teacher’s room offers and can prepare lessons while sipping on my cappuccino from the machine. (Yay, European coffee machines!)  I also have a Pass Éducation which always teachers under the French Ministry of Education free entrance to national museums and sites of France.  

-Tutoring
I am volunteering to be an English tutor 2 hours a week at the university, so far it's been great!  I've met some cool students- I'm even helping some with a project for one of their classes that requires insight from a native English speaker.  While I may not be getting paid to tutor I know the experiences and people I will meet from this will be well worth it!


I have to say that I’m pretty proud of myself for what I've accomplished in less than 2 months.  Was it easy? No way!  I’ve had my low moments for sure but the high moments always seem to outweigh the low.  (And I've found that some baguette and Camembert cheese is a good cure for when the lows seem too low haha) A HUGE thank you goes out to my family and friends who have been there to support me through this transition time.  I honestly feel that the 'worst' is over and I look forward to the rest of my stay in Dijon!  So, with the majority of the stressful administrative aspects out of the way let the fun begin:
-11/19/11: going to Paris for the day (yes, just for the day….I’ve been waiting forever to be able to just have a Parisian day trip!)
-11/20/11: going to Beaune (wine capital of Burgundy) for a world-famous wine festival (yes, I will compare it to Maryland’s Wine Fest and report back!)
-11/24/11: helping to host Thanksgiving to celebrate with the other assistants (the Europeans are excited!)
-12/2-3/11: going to Strasbourg for the world-famous Christmas markets
-12/31/11-1/1/12: spending New Year’s Eve in Paris with a study abroad friend (after spending 2 weeks at home in MA for Christmas break!)

It is SO nice to finally feel settled.  It’s a dream come true to be living in France and to know I’m actually doing it, and doing it successfully, is a fantastic feeling.

(And congrats to you, the reader, if you made it through this entire post!)

Word of the Post: s'installer - to settle

1 comment:

  1. 1. Love the title of this post. (I get it!)
    2. yes, I read every last word and loved it!
    3. You are welcome, but it is very easy to support you in high and low times because you do the same for me!
    Xoxox, momma-bear

    ReplyDelete