Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful for Catholic churches and the travel bug

It is no secret that I have an undeniable appreciation for European Catholic cathedrals and churches.  And since arriving in Dijon I’ve already visited Notre-Dame de Dijon and St-Michel multiple times.  Whenever I approach these cathedrals or churches I am constantly taken aback- they always make me stop for a moment to simply stare in awe.  There are so many details to take in: arches, gargoyles, roof tiles, and more!  When I finally walk into the church I am stunned once again.  There is just something about gothic architecture that makes me feel so very small.  That, and the fact that people have been walking in and out of this very same building for centuries upon centuries! (For example Notre Dame de Dijon was built in the 1200s!)  When I visitied Notre Dame de Dijon a few weeks ago it did have a few tourists in it, but it was a lot quieter than Notre Dame de Paris which was a nice change. (Less crowd=more peaceful!)  I visited St-Michel yesterday and it was completely empty….it’s pretty to surreal to have an entire church of St-Michel's size to yourself.  I was able to light a few candles and just sit and think.    While the architecture and history of such churches certainly fascinate me, there is another reason as to why I am so drawn to them: my Grandma. 

My Grandma was an amazing woman who I credit for giving me the gift of the “travel bug”.  I remember being a little girl and going over to her house listening to her and my aunts talk about all the amazing places they've traveled to. They have literally traveled the world and I remember how curious it made me to seek out life outside the United States.  (I was the kid who wore the authentic Chinese rice hat [that my Grandma and aunts brought back from China] to the pool because I thought it was so cool.  That alone solidifies just how much their travels affected me!)  Throughout my life my Grandma was a constant supporter, but especially of my travels in high school and my choice to go to college in Maryland. Aside from her own travels she was also a devout Catholic.  I believe her faith is what pulls me toward these cathedrals and churches here.  When I stop and sit in these churches, the same thing happens: a familiar feeling washes over me, it’s difficult to describe, but it is the same feeling, no matter which church I am in.  My Grandma passed away during my freshman year of college which is the biggest loss I have experienced in my life.  It may sound strange but that feeling I get while in these churches makes me think of my Grandma and makes me feel closer to her.  Whatever the case may be-  I am very blessed to have had such a loving and inspiring Grandma; I think of her all the time and feel comfort in knowing she is with me wherever I go.  

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for a lot of things, but I am especially thankful for my Grandma because without her I would not be the person I am today, and additionally I would not have been able to take on this experience in France.

I am thinking of her, especially today, and the rest of my family as well.

Notre Dame de Dijon
(hard to get a good pic due to the church's façade)
St-Michel

No comments:

Post a Comment