Friday, December 9, 2011

US of A!

I cannot believe I will be flying home in exactly a week…where did the time go?!  So much has happened in these past three months and as I’m finally feeling settled it’s a bit strange to grasp that I am going on a vacation to the United States.  For me vacations have always consisted of countdowns to various European cities and getting excited to try new foods, see historic sites, visit museums and so on.  Now, living in Europe, I am counting down until I land in Boston, MA and can smell Dunkin’ Donuts, watch my favorite sports teams, eat Mom’s homemade buffalo chicken, and see familiar friends, family, and places. And I know that while I am able to visit these places I will be flying back to France after two weeks.  This is definitely one of the more bizarre moments thus far in my trans-Atlantic life.

As much as I love France and travelling, my time here makes me realize how lucky I am to call America home.  For example, in class this week my students and I were discussing some major differences between Europe and the United States.  I was taken aback by their comments as they see the U.S. as “an open and tolerant” country whereas Europe is so tied down to its past causing its people to hold on to certain passé ideologies. They absolutely love the idea of the American “melting pot” and that our culture has been created on difference, change, and a need to come together.  These are 15 year olds, mind you!  How amazing is that?  While I reminded them that the U.S. faces problems like any country it was a proud moment to hear them speak about my homeland with such admiration. And it, of course, made me all the more excited to visit home!

See you soon, ‘merica!

Word of the Post: à l'aise -- to be comfortable (Essentially how I'll feel when I'm laying on the couch watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment