Thursday, December 15, 2011

I’ll be home for Christmas, you can count on me

I'm currently sitting in my hotel room amazed by how life à Dijon became so normal, so quickly.  I already feel such a strong loyalty for "la ville de moutarde" that it’s quite hard to imagine how I’ll be feeling in May. But I don’t want to think about May just yet…

So, yes, I’m writing this post from my airport hotel but it took a bit to get here!  I had to leave my flat at 11:20am to get on the 11:30am bus so I would beat the lunchtime rush and be able to fit myself and luggage on the bus! Successful but it lead to lots of waiting time at the gare. (I bought some French tabloids to pass the time: funny and good practice!)  My train left Dijon at 1:20pm and arrived at Paris-Gare de Lyon at 3:11pm. Yes, exactly 3:11pm is when the train came to a complete stop.  How do I know this?  Well, when I was looking at my train ticket I thought to myself that 3:11pm is such a random/specific arrival time to put- it can’t be that exact!  Lo and behold there was a clock at Gare de Lyon showing the hour, minute, and SECONDS…so yes, SNCF (national train company) knows what’s up.  (I will never doubt you again, SNCF. Unless you go on strike- then all bets are off!)  I quickly found the Air France airport shuttle stop (thank you to whichever side of the family gave me fabulous memory/sense of direction) and only had to wait about 15 minutes for it to arrive.  (Air France shuttle plug….TAKE IT. I know I said this in one of my first posts but seriously worth every euro: quicker than the RER and you don’t have to drag your luggage up and down metro stairs!)  So, I took the shuttle to Terminale 1 to check out where Lufthansa is and was even able to check in ahead of time so now I just have to check my luggage and I'll be on my way! Yay, efficiency!  From Terminale 1 I took the airport shuttle to Terminale 3 to catch a different shuttle to my hotel for the night. (Lots of shuttles, clearly.)  On the airport shuttle I had this bizarre, existential moment where I caught my reflection and it hit me that this is my real life and I really do live in France, on my own, like other everyday French people. (Ok their French is better but you catch my drift!)  It was weird, but cool.  Finally I arrived at my hotel 6 hours after leaving my flat!  The hotel isn't anything spectacular but for one night it’s just what's needed.  I had to eat dinner in the hotel restaurant because there’s nothing around here…it was strange.  21,50 euros for an awkward, luke-warm buffet and a less than stellar Kir (Clearly I’ve been spoiled by Kir in Dijon!) all by myself.   Oh well, I wasn’t expecting an amazing meal and this just makes me all the more excited for American food! Om nom nom!

Tomorrow morning I’m waking up bright and early at 3:30am to be at breakfast at 4:30am and taking the 5am shuttle to CDG.  My first flight from Paris to Frankfurt leaves at 7:50am so I want to make sure I have plenty of time!  Then, should everything go smoothly, I will land in Frankfurt at 9:20am and my flight from Frankfurt leaves for Boston at 12pm. (These times are all Euro-times...I should land in Boston around 2pm US/EST, though.)  I’m a bit excited for my almost 3 hour layover in Frankfurt tomorrow as it brings back memories of my first international travel experience!

So there you go, a play by play of my voyage home!  But it's now time for bed considering I need to be up in 4 1/2 hours.  America-bound tomorrow- wahoo! J

Word of the Post: la ville de moutarde -- city of mustard (I just typed that for fun....I'm not positive it's an official nickname haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment