Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Planes, and buses, and trains...oh my!

(Warning: this is a bit lengthy!)
(FYI: This was written sometime between the 23rd and 24th but I am just posting now from free WiFi at a McDonalds by the Université de Bourgogne)

I traveled a total of 3,601 miles (or 5 794 km....I should start using the metric system, huh?) by plane, bus, and train in order to arrive in the city famous for its mustard.  If someone told me that the most stressful part of the trip would be at Logan International Airport in Boston I would have laughed.  I had been worrying about lugging around 4 (heavy!) pieces of luggage onto busses and trains, through Charles de Gaulle airport, as well as up & down stairs, but Logan proved to be the most testing.

Logan:
Since American Airlines allow passengers to check in online, when my parents and I arrived at Logan we were able to check my larger luggage curbside and proceeded to the security line. Simple, right?  Well, while in line a Logan employee told me one of my carry-ons was too large.  (Why the curbside employee OK-ed it I will never know!)  I am lucky that my parents were there to help me take things out and rearrange other items.  I was already stressed, nervous, and knew I was saying goodbye soon so this made my security process a lot more tearful than expected.  My parents and I said a rushed goodbye and I tried to compose myself in the line.  Luckily the guy behind me saw the carry-on ordeal combined with the fact that I was visibly upset so he started talking to me, asking me where I was going, and was just generally friendly.  It really helped me to relax and be able to wave goodbye to my parents one last time with a (quasi) braver face.  After that security was a breeze and I proceeded to my gate.  When I got to my gate (B32, all the way at the end) I was greeted by various international flags and found an empty seat.  I called my parents from my temporary phone (which I am so happy to have) and let them know I made it and was feeling a little better.  Obviously they knew better (I am a stress muffin after all) and their encouragement was so needed at that moment.  When I hung up I sat for a few minutes and realized it was hitting me that I was actually leaving for France.  A good part of me wanted to tell my parents to turn around and come back as nerves were beginning to multiply but then an automated announcement came over the loud speaker saying “Welcome to Boston, home of the Boston Red Sox, the Boston Bruins, the Boston Celtics, and the New England Patriots” and it reminded me that this is always home no matter where I am in the world. (Then I smiled to myself and wondered what international travelers must think when they hear that)  It’s corny but that little recording really did serve as a wake up call.  I reminded myself I was taking advantage of life and being able use what I went to school for all at once….not a bad deal.  (Also, someone joked that my time in France is less than a woman’s pregnancy so that puts some real perspective on how short it truly is and how much I need to do while I’m here!)  Before I knew it my group was boarding and it was time to go!

Airplane:
I was the first to sit in my row and plopped into the middle seat (not by choice but c’est la vie!).  Then an older woman sat in the window seat.  We exchanged stories (she was on business, my teaching job) and she was very enthusiastic about what I was doing and guaranteed it would be a fabulous experience.   Can’ t be upset about that, right? Then the aisle seat passenger arrived, a middle-aged woman.  She sat down, turned to me and said: “I’m supposed to meet the man of my dreams on this plane, what are you doing here?”  I legitimately laughed out loud and said “Sorry?” She turned out to be really nice and very funny.  (With an intro like that though, how could she not be funny?)  I was expecting to be more freaked out on the plane but a strange calm washed over me.  The ride was turbulent free, the movie that played was Arthur (cute) and the food was so-so.  I got tortellini, some unappetizing sides, and a ginger ale. I didn’t feel like spending $7 on a tiny bottle of Chardonnay (especially when I prefer Pinot Grigio) so I settled for soda. (Come on, you can get much larger bottles of good wine in Westminster, MD for $7- as if I’m going to buy overpriced, crappy airplane wine.)  The plane ride overall was nice but if you need to fly international I’m going to plug AirFrance or Lufthansa.  Not only is their food better and (alcoholic) drinks are free but, there is a lot more room and comfort in the seating.  I slept on and off for an hour and then “breakfast in a box” (muffin, banana, gross yogurt) & OJ were served, and it felt like 5 minutes later we were landing at Charles de Gaulle.

Charles de Gaulle:
As I deplaned and walked into the airport the same calm washed over me that had while on the plane.  I’m not sure if it’s because when I studied abroad in Paris I already did the whole “fly alone internationally thing“ or what but nonetheless it was a nice feeling.  The line for customs wasn’t too long and neither was waiting for my luggage.  CDG Airport offers those nifty luggage carts for free so I took full advantage of that.  Then I asked an airport employee (yes, en français)  where I could find the AirFrance shuttle and wheeled my 3583495257 pounds (slight approximation) of luggage to the shuttle.  I think the AirFrance shuttle to Gare de Lyon (train station) was the best 16,50 euros I have ever spent.  The mere thought of the alternative route to Gare de Lyon (RER + métro during morning rush hour + 4 luggage bags) was frightening.  The shuttle was quick and I took in the small glimpses of Paris that I could.  Recognizing streets and metro stops along the drive made me realize once more how much of an impact my semester abroad had on me and how much I will always love Paris. 

Gare de Lyon:
When the shuttle arrived at Gare de Lyon the only way to the station was up a fairly tall set of stairs.  (Side note for any study abroad girls reading- there was a homeless man with a bunny outside the stairs so in case you were wondering the “pet +homeless person thing” is still happening haha) So, there I was standing with all my bags at the bottom of what felt like a mountain.  (Slight exaggeration but come on, these bags were heavy and there was only one of me!)  Luckily, a man offered to carry one of my bags to the top!  Then I purchased my TGV train ticket and waited on the yellow platform for my train to Dijon.  Time-wise things worked out quite well as I purchased my ticket at 9:50am and my train left at 10:29am…not a lot of waiting.  I called my parents during the down time to let them know I was at Gare de Lyon and okay.  It was very nice to be able to have contact with them through this part of the trip.

TGV:
Once my train arrived I put my suitcases on (one at a time- sorry people behind me!) and found my seat (number 88).  After learning/hearing all about the famous TGV the nerd in me was very excited to finally be on one!  Waiting for me on my seat was a TGV magazine where Dijon was highlighted as an up and coming city- very cool.  Then before I knew it I passed out and woke up with only 15 minutes left of the 1:40 hr ride.  What I did see during the ride was some of the most beautiful countryside--a lot of farm land and a lot of small towns clustered together.  France really is a beautiful country and I cannot wait to visit more of it!  We arrived at Dijon’s stop: Dijon Ville and that’s when it started to hit me that I was in France.  From my phone I called Carmela (my landlady) who picked me up, or as she would say “collected me” (I love the British) and took me to my studio.

So all in all I managed quite well during my travel experience.  It was long but worth it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving this blog stuff, to be able to know what your up to is almost like being there. I'm going to Myrtle Beach, SC and I thought that was a big deal until I read your story. So fantastic, I might even learn some French from you. LOL By for now. Love AP :)

    ReplyDelete