Wednesday, March 14, 2012

True Life: I survived my first French haircut

Okay, okay so it isn't a huge accomplishment but for this curly q going to the hair salon has never been simple.  I've had my fair share of cuts that were too short, had uneven layers, or an awful combination of the two.  I recently found a great hairdresser in the U.S. so I've been pretty nervous to get a haircut over here. I mean let's be honest, I waited for college breaks to have my haircut at home after two failed attempts in Maryland so the need to go for a chop in France didn't have me super excited.  Anyway, my last haircut was in December and so I have been well overdue for a trim.  I had been continuously putting it off and until finally, when I woke up and decided today was the day.  I had seen a cute little place near my flat called "Cocoon" and walked in to make an appointment around noon.  They had an opening at 5pm and I took it.  The woman who made my appointment was extremely nice and I told her how I was a bit apprehensive because my hair is so curly, layered, and I don't want it super short.  She told me that when I came back I could fully explain what I wanted and not to worry.  I already felt reassured.  Finally 5 o'clock rolled around and I went back to the salon.  The same woman who made my appointment ended up being the one to cut my hair.  I was nervous for no reason- she did a great job, was patient, and really listened to what I wanted.  She evened out some layers and suggested I cut off more than I initially wanted but in the end my hair is much healthier so that's fine.  We chatted away in French about the weather, why I'm here, what I think of Dijon, etc and she said I spoke great French so even if she chopped all my hair off I would have left feeling fabulous.  Ok, that's a lie but it is really nice to have someone compliment your second language, especially when you're using it in a brand new setting.  I gave her a five euro tip (even though they do not tip here and I was aware of this) and while she didn't expect it, I could tell she appreciated it.  She was really nice and so I'm totally ok with breaking cultural customs so she can go have coffee or something on me!  Little victories like this are what make life abroad so interesting and exciting-  they push you to your limits and make you realize you really can do more than you think!

My 'do.


Word of the Post:  Salon de Coiffure -- hair salon

1 comment: