Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2005-2012: A love story

“Paris is always a good idea.” –Audrey Hepburn

Let me just say that Audrey Hepburn knew what she was talking about.  I often joke that Paris is my “first true love” but in reality that is the complete truth.  I’m feeling especially nostalgic about Paris since my first to trip to the City of Light was around this time in February seven years ago; so, in honor of Valentine’s Day and the marking of a seven year anniversary here’s the story of Paris et moi:


2005: A weekend

2005
This is taken on a cold, foggy February morning from a
disposable camera! Almost looks fake!

I was lucky enough to visit Europe for the first time in 2005 as a sophomore in high school.  A friend had moved to Germany and her family generously offered to have myself and some others visit during our February school vacation.  As if 10 days in Germany wasn’t enough we were given the chance to go to Paris for the weekend.  I remember barely being able to contain my excitement- since my first French class I had been intrigued by France so the chance to see it firsthand was a magnificent opportunity!  It was a whirlwind weekend, and everything seemed to blur into one memory, but I will never forget how I felt when I first saw the Eiffel Tower.  We had driven to Paris (only a 6 hour drive) and as we drove into the city we were crossing a bridge and the La tour Eiffel suddenly appeared.  Cue instant butterflies: it was love at first sight.


2007: A week

2007
This was taken on the walk from the métro stop
Bir-Hakeim to the Eiffel Tower.  It was a hot April day!

After that weekend spent in Paris I knew I had to go back.  In 2007 my parents generously offered a week-long trip in the City of Light during April vacation of my senior year of high school.  It was an extraordinary graduation present.  Not only did this allow me to have more time in Paris, I was able to spend this time with my mom, too!  It was a magical week exploring and rediscovering a city I had only seen so briefly before.  Upon seeing the Eiffel Tower for the first time in ‘07 I once again got butterflies.  This week confirmed what I already knew to be true- Paris would forever be part of my life.


2009: A semester

2009
This is taken the last day of my semester abroad.
I was lucky enough to experience a snowy, December day!

After two fabulous stays in Paris I was itching to get back.  There was no question that I would study abroad during my junior year of college and I knew it had to be in Paris.  When I saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time in ‘09 I was greeted with some butterflies but overall I felt a comforting feeling. During this amazing semester I was no longer a tourist, but able to experience true Parisian life: experiencing the good and the bad while taking in the loveliness that is having all that Paris offers at my fingertips.  I discovered so much about French culture but also so much about myself. I left that semester completely and utterly in love with Paris.


2011/2012: A day trip here and there

2012
Me and la tour on a typical cloudy Parisian day.
This view is from Trocadéro.

Now, as a resident of Dijon, I visit Paris for day trips and transportation: to see a rugby match, to go to special shops, to spend New Year’s, or to take a shuttle to CDG airport.  I no longer get butterflies in my stomach when I see the Eiffel Tower but it doesn’t mean I love her, or Paris, any less.  My love for the City of Light is simply a full on commitment now: I accept the dreadful smell of the Châtelet métro stop just as I accept the beautiful grand boulevards and historic sites.  And as lovely as Dijon is, I will always love Paris most.  I know Paris better than I know any other city and as big as it may be it feels like home to me.  If I had to choose my “happy place” there’s no doubt that it’d be sitting in a Parisian café.


                              -----------------------------------------------------------


bisous!

I realize how unusual it is to have been able to visit Paris every two years since my first time and I do not take it for granted.  This city has given so much to me: a desire to explore other cultures, lifelong friends, a better understanding of myself, a deeper appreciation for history, and a serious baguette addiction.  As they say "your first love never dies" and I wouldn't have it any other way:  Paris, je t'aime. 

Word of the Post: l'amour -- love

No comments:

Post a Comment