Tuesday, January 31, 2012

SOLDES SOLDES SOLDES


Since I first learned about the famous French “soldes” (sales) in my 8th grade French class I have always imagined what participating in them would be like.  Throughout the year, there are two government-regulated sales in France: in the winter and in the summer.  But these are not your typical sales- they are similar to America’s Black Friday but the deals are better and last for 5 weeks!  You can buy amazing clothes, appliances, accessories, shoes, electronics, and more for ridiculously low prices.  It’s fantastic!  The winter soldes this year are from January 11th to February 14th but, as a rookie soldes shopper I took my time in making a purchase. I attempted to go shopping on the first day of the soldes but found this to be a massive mistake- the entire world seemed to be in every store!  I walked in to H&M, was overwhelmed first by all the people, and next by the brightly colored signs reading “20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%” and so on to alert shoppers of the markdowns.  I attempted to go into a few other stores but felt a bit out of my league. 

In the following weeks I had done some serious window shopping and popped into a few stores to check out the sales on shoes.  Finally, yesterday morning I decided to go to a shoe store and make a purchase.  I knew the stores would be quiet after the festival all weekend, and most people are at work on Monday mornings so I had a good feeling.  As luck would have it the store I went to was empty AND the pair of shoes I’ve had my eye on was still there- only one left in my size!  I tried them on and fell in love at once.  I happily brought my shoes to the register excited to make my first official soldes purchase.

Where I bought my shoes from! (and yes, they were 50% off!)

This picture doesn't make them look as cute as they truly are.
Love, love, love them!

Shopping during the soldes was a full circle moment for me: I have gone from a young girl reading about French culture to a young woman living in it.  I thought back to my 8th grade-self and wondered: did that young girl have any idea just how greatly her French studies would shape her life?


Word of the Post: faire du shopping -- to go shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment